Friday 18 January 2013

Southampton FC

Although Rugby is my main sporting interest, I have always been a follower of Southampton. When I was about 8 years old, my Dad took me to matches at The Dell (Southampton) and Fratton Park (Portsmouth). I became a 'Saints,' fan!

This created a few problems, because I eventually went to School at St John's College, Southsea (part of Portsmouth!) and my fellow pupils were virtually all Pompey fans!

I spent three years living in Southampton, two of them on Archers Road, which was only just a few hundred yards from The Dell. My final year, 1976, also coincided with The Saints famous FA Cup win at Wembley over Manchester United! As a result, I've always had a soft spot for The Saints and I was appalled to learn of their decision today, to sack the Manager, Nigel Adkins.

He has given a couple of years loyal service, achieved promotion and, with few resources, started to establish them in the Premiership. All this, it seems, is of little value as far as the owners are concerned and he is out, despite recent success and consolidation. No value on loyalty or service then! The replacemewnt is already in place and certainly has no pedigree or reputation and seems to be a 'shot in the dark!

I'd expect a third manager to be in place pretty quickly and I'm sure Nigel will be snapped up by an ambitious Club, should he wish to work in such a treacherous occupation again!

No comments:

Post a Comment